The Macon County Register of Deeds office is now authorized to issue copies of birth certificates from the Statewide Birth Database maintained by the North Carolina office of Vital Records in Raleigh. Through this system we are able to issue birth certificates for persons born in all 100 counties of North Carolina from 1971 forward. Please be aware that you should not use this system if any of the following conditions apply to your request.
- You don’t have correct birth facts (Name, birth year, mother’s maiden name)
- The individual was adopted
- You want an image copy of the complete birth certificate rather than an abstract
- The individual’s birth was registered as a delayed birth registration (More than one year after the fact of birth)
- You are not willing to pay $24 for a search and one certified copy (Each additional certified copy of the same certificate is $15)
Please note that in accordance with state law, you will be charged $14 for each search in this system, whether the record is located or not. Furthermore, only the individual whose certificate is requested, his/her immediate family or a legal representative of any of those individuals may obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate. Anyone can use this system to obtain an uncertified copy, however, the $14 search fee must still be charged.
If, after reading and understanding the above facts, you wish to request a birth certificate using the Statewide Birth Database, please bring your valid photo ID and payment (cash/check/money order) to our office at 5 West Main Street.